Vegetable Glycerin For Skin Care: A Complete Guide
Get ready to discover the power of your skin’s new best friend, vegetable glycerine. This natural and versatile humectant gained popularity in the skincare industry. Due to its extraordinary moisturizing properties, it works for hydrating and nourishing your skin. This nature’s marvel promotes healthy and glowing skin by restoring balance whether you have dry, oily, or sensitive skin. From reducing fine lines and dryness to increasing skin elasticity and soothing irritation, vegetable glycerin is your skin’s superhero. Read more to understand the beauty benefits and countless possibilities that vegetable glycerine brings to your daily skincare routine. So, let’s unlock the benefits and uses of vegetable glycerine for skin care and get a glow.
Vegetable Glycerin: What is it?
Vegetable glycerine, also known as vegetable glycerol. It is a natural substance derived from plant oils, typically palm, soy, or coconut, rich in triglycerides. This is a sugar alcohol compound that is colorless, odorless, non-toxic, and sweet. It has gained extreme popularity in the skincare industry. Due to its humectant properties, it acts as a magnet for moisture by retaining and attracting water from surrounding to the skin. This multi-purpose ingredient is used to soften, cleanse, clarify, and strengthen the skin. That’s why it is used in different pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries in many skin care products. It’s a magical cosmetic raw material. Let’s start with the benefits and uses of vegetable glycerin.
History Of Vegetable Glycerin:
Vegetable glycerine is a modern product, and its extraction started in the 20th century. Non-vegan glycerine is derived from animal fat, while vegan glycerine is derived from plants. It has countless uses in health and skin care products such as soaps, moisturizers, detergents, shaving creams, and other cosmetic products. Vegetable glycerine works as a substitute for alcohol in the beauty industry. So, it’s beneficial for those who don’t want to use alcohol-containing products on their skin because alcohol causes dryness and irritation.
Note: Due to humectant properties, vegetable glycerin can be used with irritating ingredients that dry out your skin. For example: Retinoids
Uses of Vegetable Glycerin For Skin Care Products:
Vegetable glycerine is a natural emollient. So, it is used in many skin care products. Moreover, it is safe and gentle to use, so dermatologists also recommend skin care products containing vegetable glycerine. It is used in many skincare products, like
- Moisturizers: The most crucial feature of vegetable glycerine is its moisturizing power. So, it is used in many face and body lotions and creams. As a natural emollient, it draws moisture to the skin’s upper surface and makes skin smooth and wrinkle-free.
- Soaps: Vegan glycerine is also used in many soaps and face washes because it is gentle and doesn’t make skin dry. It is also used in baby soaps and lotions.
- Toners: Plant-derived glycerin is also used in toners. And these toners make skin fresh without making it sticky and greasy. Moreover, these toners also hydrate the oil skin.
- Sunscreens: Sunscreen helps to protect our skin from harmful UV rays. Glycerin is also used in sunscreen to moisturize the skin and make the sunscreen more spreadable.
- Cleansers: Glycerin is non-comedogenic. It won’t make our skin oily and clog pores. So. it is also used in different cleansers. So, cleansers containing vegetable glycine are suitable for all skin types and also for acne-prone skin.
- Face Masks: Face masks that contain vegetable glycerin hydrate, moisturize, and also make the skin bright. So, you can use these face masks for rapid hydration and reduce aging signs.
Benefits of Vegetable Glycerin For Skin:
There are many skincare benefits of vegetable glycerine. You will feel good when you use plant-based glycerine. Following are the excellent benefits of this superhero in skincare.
Vegetable glycerine provides intense moisturization to your skin without clogging pores, unlike some heavy moisturizers. So, it’s non-comedogenic and won’t clog pores. It combats dryness and makes your skin soft and supple.
Improved Skin Elasticity:
One of the fantastic benefits of vegetable glycerin is that it increases skin elasticity and makes skin trimmer and youthful. It provides us with a lifted and toned complexion and fades fine lines and wrinkles.
Promotes Youthful Skin:
Vegetable glycerine has deep moisturizing and nourishing properties, so it helps to promote glowing and healthy skin and improves the overall texture of your skin.
It also cleans your skin and eliminates excess dirt and oil from your skin. Unlike harsh chemicals, it is safe and gentle for acne-prone skin. It beautifies your skin without clogging pores and prevents acne breakout.
Enhances Skin Barrier Function:
Vegetable glycerine helps to enhance skin barrier functions. A healthy skin barrier is vital to protect the skin from external aggressors. This skincare ingredient prepares your skin for the defense against environmental stressors.
Versatility in Skincare:
Vegetable glycerine is a multi-tasker and versatile ingredient because you can use it in different formulations by mixing it in masks, serums, and skincare products for better results. So, you can easily customize your skincare routine with this DIY-friendly product.
Suitable for All Skin Types:
Vegetable glycerine is suitable for all skin types, whether you have oily, sensitive, dry, or combination skin. Its non-comedogenic nature makes it suitable for everyone.
Whether you face skin issues like irritation, redness, or inflammation, vegetable glycerin rescues your skin concerns. It is gentle on the skin and can quickly calm irritated skin. It is an ideal choice for sensitive and reactive skin.
If you have dry, cracked, and damaged skin, vegetable glycerin heals it. It is also helpful for eczema and psoriasis and heals wounds due to cracked skin. Glycerin also has antimicrobial properties, so it helps in wound healing and improves the overall health of your skin.
According to the research, Skin care products containing glycerol help treat xerosis and atopic dermatitis due to dry and cold weather conditions. Because these glycerol-containing products increase epidermal hydration.
Vegetable Glycerin DIY Recipes: Skincare
The following are the DIY recipes for vegetable glycerin for skin care. You can make your body lotion, nourishing face masks, hydrating facial mist lip balms, nail cream, and DIY toner. With these practical and simple recipes, you can easily enjoy the benefits of vegetable glycerin. Get ready to explore the wonders of homemade skincare with vegetable glycerin.
DIY Hydrating Facial Mist:
- Half a cup of distilled water
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable glycerin
- 5-10 drops of any suitable essential oil
- Combine vegetable glycerin, essential oil, and distilled water in a clean spray bottle.
- Shake it to mix all ingredients properly.
- Mist on your face three times a day.
Moisturizing Face Mask:
- One ripe avocado
- One tablespoon of vegetable glycerin
- One tablespoon honey
- Mashed the avocado in a bowl and make a smooth paste
- Add vegetable glycerin and honey to the avocado and mix well
- Apply the mixture on your face for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and enjoy the soft and nourished skin.
DIY Lip Balm:
- One tablespoon of vegetable glycerin
- One tablespoon of beeswax
- One tablespoon of coconut oil
- A few drops of essential oil
- Take a double boiler and melt the beeswax, vegetable glycerin, and coconut oil until it melts and combines.
- Remove from heat and add a few drops of essential oils for fragrance
- Pour a mixture into a lip balm container and let it cool until it solidifies.
- Apply on your chapped lips to get soft and plumpy lips.
DIY Soothing Body Lotions:
- Half cup vegetable glycerin
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 5-10 drops of essential oil
- ¼ cup shea butter
- Melt shea butter and coconut oil in a double boiler.
- After removing from heat, add a few drops of essential oil and vegetable glycerin, stir well, and let it cool.
- Transfer the mixture to an air-tight and clean container.
- Apply on your body whenever you need extra moisture.
Non-Comedogenic Facial Serum:
- Half tsp of orange blossom water
- Half tsp of vegetable glycerin
- 3 drops of tea tree oil
- Mix all these ingredients
- Apply Diy serum on your face
- Leave it for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and get rid of acne.
Magical DIY Cleanser:
- 2 Tsp of vegetable glycerine.
- Four Tsp of raw honey.
- Half a cup of fresh green tea.
- 10-15 drops of essential oil: Lemon, Geranium
- Mix all these ingredients in a blender thoroughly.
- Store it in an airtight container.
- Use daily.
Balancing Toner DIY:
- ¼ cup of Witch hazel
- ½ cup rose water
- ¼ cup vegetable glycerin
- Combine these ingredients in a bottle and shake it well.
- Spray toner on your face.
- After 10 minutes, rinse with water and get glowy skin.
Blackhead Detox Mask:
- 2 tsp vegetable glycerine.
- 3 tsp almond powder.
- 1 tsp earth clay.
- Mix all ingredients and make a paste.
- Apply this paste to your face.
- Let it dry and rinse with cold water.
- 1 tsp dried calendula flower.
- ½ cup witch hazel distillate.
- Lavender & sandalwood essential oils.
- ¼ cup of rose water.
- ¼ cup of vegetable glycerine.
- Add calendula flower in hazel distillate and let it infuse to steep for 2-3 weeks.
- When the mixture is ready, add 4-5 drops of essential oils in it.
- Add this mixture to vegetable glycerin and use it as an after-shave lotion.
Exfoliating Body Scrub:
- ½ cup vegetable glycerin.
- ½ cup sugar.
- 1 tsp aloe vera gel.
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Use this DIY scrub during the shower.
- Massage it on your body as a regular body scrub.
- Get a radiant complexion with this simple exfoliant.
Remedy For Cracked Heels:
- 2 tsp of vegetable glycerine.
- 1 tsp of salt.
- 2 tsp of rose water.
- ½ cup of lemon juice.
- Warm water.
- Fill the tub with warm water.
- Add one tablespoon of vegetable glycerin, 1 teaspoon of rose water, 5-10 drops of lemon juice, and salt.
- Soak your feet in this mixture for 15 minutes.
- Rub the heels properly.
- Then add 1 tablespoon of glycerine,1 tablespoon of rose water, and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Apply this mixture on your feet, wear socks, and leave it overnight
- Wash your feet in the morning with Luke’s warm water.
DIY Cheek Stain Recipe With Vegetable Glycerin:
This DIY recipe is amazing for making natural cheek stains with vegetable glycerin.
- 1 beetroot slice
- Heat proof jar
- 2 tables spoon of vegetable glycerin
- Mix the beet root and glyceine
- Place it in a heatproof jar
- Put the jar in boiling water.
- Let it cool.
- Stain it and use it as a cheek stain.
Where can I buy vegetable glycerin?
You can buy vegetable glycerin From different pharmacies. You can also find it from local supermarkets or any superstore. You can buy it online from different marketplaces like Amazon, eBay, and Walmart.
Nature’s Oil Vegetable Glycerin:
Nature’s oil Vegetables glycerin is pure grade VG with other raw ingredients and meets high-quality standards.
Some interesting information for you.
Natural Glycerin vs Synthetic glycerin:
Natural glycerin is derived from animal fats or vegetables, while synthetic glycerin is derived from petroleum.
Choose essential oils wisely for your skin:
Lavender or rose oil for all skin types. For dry skin, choose rosewood or cedar wood. For oily skin, choose lemon or orange oil.
Vegetable glycerin vs glycerin:
Vegetable glycerin comes from plant sources, especially palm, soy, and coconut oil, while glycerin can come from animal sources.
Is glycerin Toxic?
Glycerin, also called glycerol, is an odorless, colorless syrup or liquid trihydroxy alcohol compound that has a sweet taste and is non-toxic.
Are vegetable glycerin and vegetable oil the same?
Vegan glycerin is a colorless sweet liquid that is extracted from vegetable oils. This is the common ingredient used in cosmetics products.
Is vegetable glycerin water soluble?
Yes, vegetable glycerin is water soluble. It is the best skin softener and has emollient properties.
What is coconut glycerin?
Coconut glycerin is a natural ingredient derived from coconuts. It acts as a moisturizer and humectant, helping to soften and hydrate the skin.
Finally! Vegetable glycerin or glycerol is a multifunctional ingredient for skincare. It is a gentle and natural humectant which helps retain moisture in the skin. Moreover, due to its anti-aging and anti-inflammatory properties, it helps to increase skin elasticity and reduce acne and pimples. So, incorporating vegetable glycerin into your skincare routine makes your skin healthy, hydrated, and youthful.